The Kuhn Pressure Cooker
The Duromatic Pressure Cooker
On this page we take a closer look at the Kuhn Pressure Cooker also known as the Duromatic Pressure Cooker. It is Swiss made and highly acclaimed.
The New York Times even referred to the Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cooker with its dome shaped lid as the “The Mercedes of Pressure Cookers.”
So, what makes the Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers special?
In my opinion the answer lays in the quality of the design. It is well thought out and therefore works well. This cooker is very safe, durable, quiet and use very little liquid in its cooking process.
Read the Kuhn Pressure Cookers review below:
- It is made of 18/10 polished to a mirror finish stainless steel. Since stainless steel does not interact with your food, it is a healthy alternative compared to aluminum cookers.
- The bottom of the Kuhn pressure cooker consists of a solid layer of aluminum that is sandwiched between stainless steel. This results in even heat distribution and ensures that the cooker absorbs heat very quickly.
- You don’t need to guess about when to turn the heat down, the valve shows you when the pressure reaches 8 PSI and 15 PSI.
- 5 build-in safety measures makes this a very safe cooker. You will never have to worry about it exploding on you!
- You get a stainless steel trivet, a clear and helpful instruction manual and a recipe book with your Kuhn pressure cooker.
- The 10 year warranty covers non-replaceable parts, material and workmanship. This warranty also says that replacement parts will be available for 15 years after its manufacture date.
- It hand washes easily and is dishwasher safe.
How to use it
It is very easy to use the Kuhn pressure cooker. Add your food and the required liquid to the cooker using the ½ and ¾ filling lines as a guide. Bring it to the boil without the lid.
As soon as you food start boiling, lock the lid into place. You will see that the pressure valve rises as the pressure increases. Keep your eye on the line markings on the valve. The first line indicates 8 PSI and the second line represents 15 PSI.
When it reaches the level of pressure you want, turn the heat down to a low setting to maintain that pressure. You should not hear any hissing or spitting sounds. Set you timer now and let it continue cooking until your dish is done.
If the pressure level goes above 15 PSI you will hear a hissing sound telling you that pressure is being released. Take it off the burner and turn the heat down until it reaches the correct level. Only then return it to the heat.
Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers use an advanced enclosed system. This basically comes down to using less liquid, releasing very little pressure, very little noise – making the process very effective while delivering excellent results.
The Kuhn pressure cooker is safe and I’m happy to tell you that you’ll never have to worry about it exploding on you as the older type cookers used to do from time to time.
The lid locks into place and can’t be opened until all build up pressure has been released. This makes explosions impossible.
Steam is automatically released via the spring-valve if the pressure become too high if you don’t turn the heat down when necessary.
The rubber gasket provides a tight seal in the lid. It cleverly bows outwards and releases steam from the sides of the lid if the pressure are too high.
Using less water than other cookers also makes it a lot safer.
- It is easy to use, easy to clean, safe and will last for years to come.
- The safety mechanisms that is build-in is comprehensive and you’ll never have to be afraid of the hissing beast in your kitchen.
- Replacement parts are easy to find and reasonably priced.
- The instruction manual is well-done and will help and not hinder you. Some consumers said that the manuals for the smaller and then bigger models were actually meant for the mid range models and thus not good.
- Customer service is good and will do their best to assist you.
- It is quiet.
- This baby is not cheap. It is one of the more expensive brands on the market.
- Since it is so quiet, you’ll need to visually check it to see what the pressure levels are.
- Some consumers complained that the cooker can be quite heavy when filled with food.
You have a comprehensive range to choose from as you can see from the images below. Every possible size and purpose cooker are available to pick from.
I always recommend to pick a size somewhere in the middle range that will be able to cope with a mid-sized family’s needs. Rather have left-overs to freeze than suffer the embarrassment of not having enough.